Type your keywords below
How long are the courses?
- Our courses range in length from 2 days to all the way up to 15 days for our Military Programme.
- Course length is displayed below the course name.
Can I do the courses online?
- We provide an online training area specific to Crucial Academy where you can study online for free. However, if you want to benefit from our accredited courses, you will be required to complete classroom-based training held at our Academy.
Am I guaranteed to pass the course?
- No, it is up to you to complete the pre-course material given to you before you attend and to study outside of classroom hours during the course to give yourself the best chance.
- The instructors will do everything they can to help you achieve the required standard to pass the examinations but they have to be mindful of the other students on the course.
Where is the Academy?
- Our academy is based in central Brighton. Most of our courses are taught here, but we also have training facilities in Gloucester and Corsham that we use. Each course on our website will state which location the training will be held at.
Do I have to pay for my own accommodation?
- Yes, all course attendees are responsible for arranging accommodation, thought we can provide some guidance.
- If you are currently in the military within your resettlement period, you can claim your accommodation fees back. However, if you are no longer within this period and have left the military then you will have to pay for accommodation yourself.
Is there parking available onsite?
- We do not have onsite parking in Brighton as we are located centrally. There are however a number of carparks nearby and there is an NCP carpark next door. We are also conveniently located a short walk away from Brighton train station.
Are there any pre-requisites to attending a course?
- For our Military Programme you must have knowledge of CompTIA Network+ and Security+ or have completed equivalent courses or, are able to demonstrate the equivalent knowledge. You will also need to work through as much of the provided online pre-course assignments as possible in order to be considered for a place on the course.
- For those wishing to pay to take a course with Crucial Academy, it is advised that you complete at a minimum, CompTIA Network+ and Security+ or have completed equivalent courses and training. We do provide an online training curriculum to work through before the course too.
How do I pay for a course?
- Register your interest on our website or get in contact with us about which course you would like to attend on 01273 060080 or email at [email protected]
- You will then receive an invoice for the full amount with a due date and payment information.
- Once you have made payment please notify us and we will confirm we have received payment and send you all course information and resources.
What are your payment terms?
- Our payment terms are 14 days from when the invoice is sent.
- If you book a space closer to the course start date, then we require payment 2 weeks before the course starts.
- Cleared funds are required 2 weeks before the course start date to guarantee your place.
Are my exam fees included in the price?
- Yes. The course price includes your exam fees. However, if you need to re-take an exam you are responsible for paying for any re-takes.
- Where required, we will assist you in booking your exam(s) too.
Can I pay in instalments?
- Yes, but cleared funds for the total balance are required 2 weeks before the course start date to guarantee a place
Am I eligible for a refund?
- You can cancel your place on a course and may be eligible for a refund dependent on how far away your course start date is. Our refunds work on a sliding scale:
30 working days and over = 80% refund
16 to 29 working days = 50% refund
11 to 15 working days = 20% refund
10 working days or less = no refund
Who qualifies for a free course?
- Anyone in transition from the UK military and within 12 months of their resettlement date.
- Anyone who has left the UK military less than 2 years ago and is not in employment.
- Spouses of serving or former UK military.
Can I apply if I have no background in cyber security?
- Yes! Crucial Academy provide you with all the resource material required to bring you up to speed prior to attending the course. Crucial Academy partner with an e-learning platform to provide pre-course study, so it’s important to work on everything we send you to be considered for a place on a course. Places are very competitive.
Are there any pre-requisites to attending a course?
- For the Offensive, Defensive and Cyber Threat Intelligence courses, you must have knowledge of CompTIA Network+ and Security+ or have completed equivalent courses or, are able to demonstrate the equivalent knowledge. You will also need to work through as much of the provided online pre-course assignments as possible in order to be considered for a place on the course.
When should I apply for a course?
- We recommend within the 12 month period before your resettlement date.
When do you select candidates for a course?
- Candidate selection happens 4-5 weeks before the course start date, so you will need to make sure you have completed as much of the provided online training as possible to be in a good position for selection.
How do you select candidates?
- We select the top performing candidates from the online training platform who will then be invited to a final interview stage. The assessment is based on your test scores and time spent on the platform, as well as your location, CV, salary expectations and experience. When selecting candidates, we will review your work on the relevant course module you have selected, not your Cyber Security Essentials work, so make sure to give yourself enough time. For example, if you have selected the Offensive course, you will be assessed based on the “Crucial Cyber Selection Course” we have provided you with.
- Our selection week takes place 4/5 weeksbefore the course start date. If you are selected for a further interview it is important that you are available during this time.
What if I am unsuccessful in gaining a place on a course, what happens next?
- Only successful candidates will be contacted as part of the selection process due to the high volume of applicants. If you do not hear from us 3 weeks before the course date you have been unsuccessful this time. However, that is not your only chance, if you would like to be considered for a future course get in contact with us and you can be considered or a future course.
Are there employment opportunities after the course?
- Yes, you will need to be available for potential employment. After completing the course we aim to place you in a role within cyber security, however this is something we can’t guarantee.
Can I use my ELCs to pay for a course?
- Crucial Academy courses are free for veterans who qualify. If you don’t qualify for the free courses, please contact Crucial Academy for pricing information.
Do reservists qualify for a free place on a course?
- Yes, provided you have served in the Regular military and qualify per the above criteria.
I am a military spouse. Can I apply for a course?
- Yes. Whether your partner is still serving in the UK military or left, you can apply for our free courses.
- During the application stage, make it clear you are a spouse. You will be required to put in your partner’s service number, regiment and unit.
How often do you run the Insight Days?
- We hold Insight Days periodically through the year. Dates for our Insight Days are posted on the events page of our website and social media platforms, so keep an eye out.
How do I book onto an Insight Day?
- You can book a space onto an Insight Day via our website or through the CTP’s website here https://www.ctp.org.uk/events
- We also provide tickets through links on our social media pages.
Do I have to pay to attend an Insight Day?
No, our Insight Days are free to attend.